Sunday, August 18, 2013

Beach Baby

This week I was feeling a bit like I needed a vacation. My husband and I have decided to take a few days off of work just to do our own thing. I plan to spend my "mental health" days working on my tan and finally getting my hair cut. With vacation on the brain, I decided to remake a popular beach cover up that's been hanging around Pintrest - see this. The problem? That wrap costs 39.50. On sale. Hell with that! I bought this skirt for $1.50.
Alright yeah, I did a ghetto kind of picture. I risked my life for this, guys - I stood on a chair because I couldn't find a place to put my camera to get a better shot. Basically, it's a wrap skirt a la:
I had no idea what to do with this when I bought it. It's been sitting on my refashion rack for a good 6 or 7 months. Until I saw this idea and knew I had a gem.

First thing I did was cut off the ties for the wrap dress, like this.
Next, I took the corners and folded them down a bit. This is the point where I should of ironed but... "ain't nobody got time for that".

I pinned down the corners on either side and pinned about 1 inch in and sewed them down. This created my casing that I could use a safety pin to thread the ties that I had cut off through the casings on either side.

After the ties were threaded through the casings, it was just a matter of sewing the ends together to create the loops, and then rotating it so the seam was on the inside of the casing.

And just like that, I had myself a beach wrap for a buck fifty. Boom.
I do admit, with a better fabric it would drape a bit better and have a bit more "give" than the skirt, but it turned out to be a bit more modest than the Victoria Secret one (which, all in all, is not that hard to do.)
 
And the best part? I can class it up. Scenario: I'm at the beach, got me my cover up on and all of the sudden my husband offers to take me out for a nice dinner. I certainly don't say no to a nice dinner, so what do I do to make myself presentable? Slap a belt on it.
As always - comment away or throw an e-mail to thriftysew@gmail.com. Until next week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment