Sunday, July 20, 2014

Back with a... Fail

So, I always tell you guys that I will always let you know when I fail. Well... I wasn't lying, and I'm back to blogging and starting off with one. I've had this piece for quite a while now, but was totally stuck as to what to do with it. I am a huge fan of orange so this screamed my name this past spring as soon as I saw it.
The problem? I had no idea what to do with it. Every time I put it on, I hated how it looked but didn't know how to make it better. Finally - today -  I thought I would come back with a bang and conquer my personal challenge. I adored the orange ombre-look, but those horrible flowers on top of my rack needed to go. away. So, I got to chopping and (looking back, thankfully) chopped only the flower front from the plain arm strap of the back.

So then, as with all of my projects, I went ahead and played with different ways to change it up. I figured now that the first cut was made I would automatically find myself a solution.


But this didn't look right.


And this didn't quite work either...

Umm... nope. Not that either.

So this is where I got frustrated. When this happens, I try to start myself back at square one. So, I put the dress back up where it was supposed to be. Since I had already cut the straps, I just pinned the flower straps to my shirt to see if I could get an idea of what direction to go with this son of a bitchin' dress.


Suddenly, it dawned on me: the only thing I didn't like was that the flowers were on top of my chest. How did I never think "just move them down"? So I played around with pinning the straps and once I simply shifted everything down a bit, I liked it a lot more. Also, without the front connected to the back it created a gorgeous hi-low hem with the see through fabric that I immediately loved.


So the solution? It was actually super easy, but I couldn't complete it - here comes the fail! The solution is to cut and sew the back straps into an open back and add a ribbon to create a halter. The problem with this plan? I don't own orange ribbon and since we just resealed our driveway and were stuck at home not being able to drive on it, I couldn't go buy some.

Here's the look with just simple pins and a simple plan.

Happy Sunday, friends! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and, as always, sound off in the comments or my e-mail thriftysew@blogspot.com.

Look out this week (around Wednesday) for some new and exciting !

No comments:

Post a Comment