Sunday, October 6, 2013

Daring to Dye

Happy weekend, friends. This post is coming up a bit late, but it's only because it was a pretty fantastic weekend. First, it started with this:
That is tailgating at a college football game, my friends. My apologies for the bad iPhone photo, but I wasn't planning on this picture making the post, but I had too much fun to not say anything.

So we went to the Syracuse vs. Clemson game. And for those of you that haven't seen the Syracuse campus, it's pretty much the original Hogwarts.
I mean, it's not, but it looks pretty legit.

The stadium was absolutely packed though - a whopping 48,000+ people.
So the project for this weekend was one that was laid back and able to keep me focused on weekend football, as I was already in the mood to watch. I chose a skirt that I picked up for 50 cents.
This skirt was overly large, and in a pattern that I wasn't a huge fan of. I took the opportunity to use up some extra products that were in my craft room...
Neither bottle of dye had enough liquid in it to do much damage on a single piece of attire, but together they had enough to make something... hopefully purple. So, I threw it all in the bucket and let it sit for a few hours while I sat down to a relaxing weekend of doing... pretty much nothing.

My grade school logic turned out correctly, because when I dumped out my dye bucket, this gorgeous purple is what came out.
After a quick rinse and spin in the washer and then a dryer tumble, out came my new skirt. It was a bit more subdued of a pattern, but still had enough interest to not be a "regular" old black skirt.
Altogether, it came out pretty well. After taking in the skirt about 2 inches or so, it started to become something wearable. I don't see myself wearing it anytime soon to work, but I feel like it has some possibility of Halloween costume or comfortable weekend wear. (Who knew there was a single piece of clothing that could be in both categories!?)
 
So not the most exciting refashion in the blogosphere, but I did get my dying practice on and even got a bit of mixology (boom!) going with *gasp* accurate results.
 
As always,. comments are welcome as well as e-mails to thriftysew@gmail.com. I've gotten a few comments about my lack of updating the Before and After page - and you are correct, I have slacked big time on that page. I will be doing updates soon, and hoping to make each picture a link to the corresponding post. Stay tuned, and keep checking. I'll stop being lazy at some point.

1 comment: