Sunday, December 8, 2013

Dancin' Fail

Last week, I posted a video of my 4 year old self dancing to "All Dressed Up in Grown Up Clothes" like a champ.

Let me tell you this now - it wasn't always this way. I certainly messed up. Below is a video of myself at age 11 or 12. To this day, I cringe when I hear any of these songs. I've done many a dances, and this one is still, by far, the most embarrassing in my mind.

To preface, this was a medley song that lasted 7 excruciating long minutes.
Apologies for the crappy quality- as this was a time long before iPad's and iPhones, I had to video tape this from the TV while playing the VHS it was taped on.

Anyway, getting back to it - why on earth would I post this, showing possibly the worst recital I've ever done?

Because I finished it.

Perseverance. It's a difficult thing sometimes. As you can tell from my random comments, my face got pissier and pissier to the point where you know that I just wanted to give up and walk off stage. Alas, I did not. I kept on going, from song to endless song, and managed to keep up with the other dancers while not completely breaking down.

I get e-mails from ladies who want to start refashioning but don't want to start for fear that they will mess up or turn out something that they are not proud of. Most of all my responses are: just go for it. Hang in there and go for it. The only way that you are going to know is if you try and just go for it. You may look like a fool, you may not do something you're proud of, but finishing will be a success in itself.

And, as you may have heard from my other comments in the video - I rocked it out the second night. I went right back out there on Saturday, donned in my mom-shorts and white t-shirt with lipstick stains, and rocked it.

Moral of the story: it takes practice. At this point in my dancing career I had been dancing for at least 8 years, but I still messed up. Just because I was experienced, does not mean that I was perfect.

And that, my friends, is why I post my refashions that don't work out so well right along with the (good?) ones that worked out. It's not an easy thing to do, taking god-awful garments and making them look okay, and it won't always work out the way it will in my mind - and certainly hasn't.

But - I will always get back out there (rather, in there - as in, my craft room) and go at it again. I encourage all of you that e-mail *and have the same thoughts* to do the same, whether your refashion turns out to be a masterpiece or a master fail.

My apologies for the touchy-feely-ness of this, but I believe that every now and then everyone needs a pick up or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment